The aim of all accommodation establishments is to provide their customers with clean, attractive, comfortable and welcoming surroundings that offer value for money. Nothing sends a stronger message than cleanliness in a hospitality operation. No level of service, friendliness or glamour can equal the sensation a guest upon entering a spotless, tidy, and conveniently arranged room.
Importance of housekeeping
Housekeeping may be defined as “ provision of a clean, comfortable, safe and aesthetically, appealing environment “. By another definition : Housekeeping is an operational department in a hotel, which is responsible for cleanliness, maintenance, aesthetic upkeep of rooms, public areas, back areas and the surrounding. The effort that a housekeeping department makes in giving a guest a desirable room has a direct bearing on the guest experience in a hotel. Guest room are the heart of the hotel. It is rightly said that housekeeping is a 24 x 7 x365 operation. Imagine the stacks of linen needed to make up all the beds in a hotel; the huge amounts of bath soap, tissue and another amenities such shampoos, colognes and so on that must be placed in the guestrooms; the miles of carpeting, floors, walls and ceilings to be cleaned and maintained; the countless pieces of furniture that must be dusted and polished and the barrels of cleaning compounds along with special tools and equipment needed in order to clean these.
Responsibilities of Housekeeping Department
The aims, objectives and responsibilities of a housekeeping department are listed below:
· To achieve the maximum possible efficiency in ensuring the care and comfort of guest and in the smooth running of the department.
· To establish a welcoming atmosphere and ensure courteous, reliable service from all staff of the department.
· To ensure a high standard of cleanliness and general upkeep in all areas for which the department is responsible.
· To provide linen in rooms, restaurants, banquet halls, conference venues, health club, and so on, as well as maintain an inventory for the same.
· To provide uniforms for all the staff and maintain adequate inventories for the same.
· To cater to the laundering requirements of hotel linen, staff uniforms and guest clothing.
· To provide and maintain the floral decorations and maintain the landscaped areas of the hotel.
· To select the right contractors and ensure that the quality of work is maintained as at the onset of the business.
· To coordinate renovation and refurnishing of the property as and when, in consultation with the management and with interior designers.
· To coordinate with purchase department for the procurement of guest supplies, cleaning agents, equipments, fabrics, carpets and other items used in the hotel.
· To deal with lost and found articles.
· To ensure training, control and supervision of all staff attached to the department.
· To establish a good working relationship with other departments.
· To ensure that safety and security regulations are made known to all staff of the department.
· To keep the general manager or administration informed of all matters requiring attention.